Your Bricoleur & Transformational Coach
With an EQ of 180, evidence of ‘people skills,’ I’ve been deemed an ‘organizational bricoleur’ and ‘possibilities coagulator;’ having a diverse range of hard and soft skills developed through education, experience and practice. I’m more like a cognitive scientist that recognizes patterns and reveals choices and processes for changing them, resulting in better questions that reveal a growth in opportunity and the ability to seize it. Doesn’t it make sense to have that kind of support in your corner, or life in general?
Transformational life coaching yields dynamic increases in confidence, direction, relationships, self-awareness and processes for implementing action plans that scale; your business, life and relationships reflect greater continuity for success. It is especially important today as the world is changing rapidly. Can you imagine having less stress, more time, better relationships and greater productivity? It’s a virtual guarantee for results in your business and life.
The process empowers accomplishing your aspirations, dreams and goals for a happy and successful life. Transformational life coaching empowers the faith, love and trust in yourself. This inner knowing is further integrated into an experience of both simple and profound results through our conversations and action plans that emerge. Aren’t you worth it?
I’ve been serving as a transformational life coach and partnering facilitator for a couple of decades now. Tenure speaks for itself in both. The skill set I’ve built serves both individual and workgroup process development, the latter applied to multi-million dollar construction projects. I coalesce hard and soft skills for facilitating stakeholder team development that produces award-level deliverables. That kind of real-world experience applies to your benefits as well. Wouldn’t you want that expertise for your personal goals and objectives?
I registered Be The Dream in 1988 with the State of Arizona, carefully crafting an answer to the personal and professional challenges I had witnessed in the workplace, a large aerospace manufacturing company. I incorporated ‘mindfulness’ in my daily practice even then; rare in the workplace. Now it is gaining attention the world over. In my late 20s I became highly skilled at getting people, places and things to work together better, always exceeding a $7 million monthly shipment goal.
In the early 1990s I hosted and produced a public access television show called One World, with 120+ shows and over 200 guests. Our goal was to explore many personal and professional paths, the relevance of inner and outer guidance and how each overcame their personal and professional fears during their ascent. We gave thousands of viewers an opportunity to learn and grow in their own personal and professional lives. Coming off a 30-year hiatus, I now host One World in a New World.
I continued to study how to work together better through courses like MIT’s (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) EdX and U-Lab programs, Presencing Institute and the Institute for Evolutionary Leadership. I taught business plan writing and marketing classes at the university level and worked with non-competitive business owner peer advisory boards since 2012. I led entrepreneurial workshops for hundreds during the decade of the 2000s.
I’ve proven I know a lot about people, places and things and how to get them to work better together on a number of assignments throughout my professional career as an event producer, partnering facilitator, faculty instructor and more. I earned an MBA in Project Management, MA in Organizational Management and Secondary Teaching Certification – I AM a Phoenix. I also earned Hypnotherapy and Transformational Life Coaching Certification from the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts.
I’m a kind of bridge between many worlds as a result of my experience and travels through realms many never explore, let alone realize they exist. I utilize leading edge practices and wisdom from many cultures, industries and paths. As a digital renaissance man, I builds and manages websites, too. I have a number of my own, all themed with a ‘harmony among people and planet’ intention.
A more complete digital vitae is here.
- Business Consulting – Facilitated over 200 small businesses, mostly women and minority-owned, to create business plans, receive micro-loans and establish operational procedures and processes
- Sales and Marketing – Accomplished 45% market penetration increase in 13-state territory. Trained sales forces in health foods, software sales, loyalty programs and home improvements
- Supply Chain Management– Accomplished 20% reduction in military spares shipments in 12 months; logistics coordinator for events drawing 250,000 patrons; coordinator/manager for city council candidate
- Educating, Mentoring and Coaching – secondary and adult learners
- Television Producing – host, producer, procurement coordinator and media buyer
- Desktop Publishing – brochures, j-cards, posters, newsletters, presentations – published author
- Public Speaking – motivational, DIY instructional workshops, organizations, municipalities
- Audio/Video Production – professional quality voice overs, commercials, testimonials
- Authored 18 books and 2 workbooks; built 18 websites and created/write for 5 blogs.
- Conducted over 300 private coaching sessions for various individuals and small business owners.
- Created program and managed logistics for several indoor learning events including the 2010 annual Valley of the Sun ASTD conference. Coordinated speaker, venue and vendor arrangements.
- Coordinated logistics and operations management for large outdoor events including Tempe Arts Festivals, Fiesta Bowl New Year’s Eve Block Party and Arizona Bike Week that drew around 250,000 patrons. Excelled at problem-solving and vendor/site relationship management.
- Facilitated exceeding $7 million monthly goals for shipments of commercial aircraft assemblies and spare parts. Instrumental in reducing military spares delinquencies from 27% to less than 7%.
- Crafted and delivered business plan writing curriculum, complete with workbook and instructional presentations for on-ground and on-line classes for an internationally renowned healing arts school.
- Presented small business curriculum classes to over 200 entrepreneurs, conducted coaching sessions and arranged professional speaker/presenter events. Curriculum included over 60 modules of small business-focused information from advertising to time management.
- Conducted social media training classes for over 100 clients and small business owners that included developing campaign strategy and implementing action plans with specific hands-on instruction and training for Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter as well as personal blogs.
- Facilitated an entrepreneurial support program for over 100 – focusing on advertising, marketing, networking, social media and website development.
Completed Graduate Studies:
MA in Organizational Management, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ – 10/03
MBA in Project Management, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ – 2/97
- Life Coach Certification, Southwest Institute of Healing Arts, Tempe, AZ – 8/04
- Secondary Teacher Certification, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ – 11/98
- Desktop Publishing Certificate, Aztech College, Tempe, AZ – 8/92
- BS in Business Administration, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ – 11/89
- Speakers Resource Organization – Board of Directors – Web Developer
- ATD – Valley of the Sun Chapter – 2008-11 Board of Directors, 2010 Conference Chair
- IANDS annual international conference presenter – 2010
- International Association of Facilitators – Member
- World Futures Society – Member
- Allied-Signal Aerospace Company – Give Once (GO) Club Board of Directors
- Representative DeMolay, Medal for Saving a Human Life – International Order of DeMolay
Insights of Others:
Zen thinks, studies, learns, then he communicates, communes, and facilitates primarily to help people and institutions. He provides consulting, support, and creativity far beyond the expectations of the most demanding clients.
Jack Dermody, retired, City of Phoenix
Zen is an exceptionally well qualified facilitator and manager of group processes. He is very effective watching group participants to ensure they are engaged and draws people into the process. He is very open, an excellent communicator…
Stephen Clarke, retired, M.A., P.C.C., B.C.C
I consider Zen to be one of those superlative examples of what the human brain can store and serve up in unique and appealing ways at will on most any occasion or assignment. To say his range of knowledge and interests are “eclectic” is engaging in understatement.
Dudley Lynch, President, Brain Technologies Corporation
Zen Benefiel is a man of great ideas and passion.I had the opportunity to bring him in to work with a staff of 15 people for Team Building. He did an outstanding job ~ so much so we still use the information as a benchmark for communication.
KC Miller, Founder/Owner, Southwest Institute of Healing Arts
Citizen involvement is crucial to the decision-making process and I commend your efforts with the Indian School Heritage Park development.
Paul Johnson, Mayor – City of Phoenix
.. is a rare find in education… he has a ‘calling’… his belief, creativity and compassion add value to students as learners and people.
Angela Budde, English Teacher, Trevor Browne HS
…offers fresh ideas, creative problem solving techniques… exercises leadership when necessary to accomplish group goals… substantial contributions toward success.
Dr. Charles Wiley, Faculty Member, University of Phoenix
…works well with others …ability to effectively communicate his thoughts on a wide range of topics….impressed by the degree of sensitivity and enthusiasm.
Cay Randall-May, Ph.D., Faculty Associate, Glendale Community College
…very resourceful and creative …communication ability and concern for the community makes him an asset for any organization.
Julia Zozaya, AZ Special Projects Coordinator, United Latin American Citizens